Questions to ask your doctor
Use the questions below to help prepare for doctor visits throughout your journey
Questions to ask your doctor about your diagnosis
- What kind of cancer do I have?
- Where is the cancer located?
- How do I get a copy of my pathology report with my diagnosis?
- Has the cancer spread beyond where it started?
- What’s the cancer stage? What does that mean for my health?
- How will this affect my treatment options?
- What are my chances of survival?
- Will I need other tests before we start treatment?
- Should I think about taking part in a clinical trial?
Questions to ask your doctor before treatment
- What’s the goal of my treatment?
- How does the treatment work?
- How is the treatment given?
- How often will I get treatment?
- How many treatments will I have?
- Where will I get treatment?
- What lifestyle changes will I have to make?
- What if the treatment doesn’t work or the cancer comes back?
- What risks and side effects should I expect?
- Will I be able to work during treatment?
- Will the treatment hurt?
- How can I best prepare for treatment?
Questions to ask your doctor during treatment
- How will I know if the treatment is working?
- Are there any limits on what I can do?
- What symptoms or side effects should I tell you about right away?
- What can I do to manage my side effects?
- Will I need special tests during treatment? How often?
- Can a family member or friend come with me to my treatment sessions?
Questions to ask your doctor after treatment
- After my treatment, do I need to change the foods I eat?
- Are there any limits to what I can do?
- How often will I need follow-up exams and tests?
- How will I know if the cancer has come back? What should I watch for?
- What are my options if the cancer comes back?